From long time I have been writing articles on Parvati valley trying to promote tourism in the region but recently I got a mail in which somebody asked me to tell the best way to reach Triund and what are the various things to do around.
Triund is a peaceful place which is situated in the lap of Dhauladhar and at top of Dharmshala. Which is accessible for almost the whole of the year except during the winters when snow cuts the way off. The panorama of the place is exhilarating and the view of the Kangra valley from the top is awe-inspiring. The trek or the journey to Triund is not a big challenge. The beauty of the nature can be felt at the very first step of your journey. The more you walk more you feel the calmness of nature.
How to reach Triund
In order to reach Triund we need to understand from where you want to visit the place. Maximum number of people visiting Triund comes from Delhi so I will write the article in that context.
- First of all you need to understand that Triund lies in a Place called Dharmshala in Kangra district of Himachal Pradesh. So if you are coming from Delhi your first location where you have to land is definitely Kangra and then Dharmshala.
- For that you just need to take a bus from Delhi during the night so that by early morning you can reach Dharmshala.
- The best option would be to take a Volvo bus from Kashmiri Gate in Delhi.
- The journey from Delhi to Dharmshala is around 12 hours.
- If you go according to the schedule mentioned above then you will be reaching Dharmshala around 7-8 in the morning.
- After that you can take a taxi or a cab to a place called Mc leodgunj also called as mini Tibet in Himachal Pradesh.
- The distance between Dharmshala to Mc leo is around 10km so after reaching Mc leo you can take a hotel where you can keep your luggage and rest for day.
- After leaving Mc-leodgunj the next speckle, which arrives is Dharmkot village which is at a distance of 3 to 4 kilometers from Mc-leodgunj. Dharmkot gives a scenic view of the Kangra valley on one side and Dhauladhar range on the other. Dharmkot is home for a number of foreigners as the temperature here is adorable. At a distance of 4-5 km from Dharmkot you will reach Galu devi from where after registration you can move to your ultimate destination Triund.
- So this was all about how a person can access or reach Triund from Delhi or Chandigarh.
By Air: Gaggal Airport (18 km from Mcleodganj) is the nearest airport. By Rail: Pathankot Junction (90 km from Mcleodganj) is the nearest railway head. By Road: Mcleodganj Bus Terminal is well connected by buses from all major cities.
Things to Do around Mc Leodgunj
Trek to Triund
The trek is approximately 6-7 km which is not so tiring but the last 100- 200 meters steepness may consume your energy but that is what trekking is all about. There are 2-3 cafes on the way which help in rejuvenating the energy you have lost. Reaching Triund takes around 3-4 hours if you travel at a very decent speed and if you are a slow walker it may take around 5-6 hours but not more than that. The scenic beauty of Triund elevates audiences and transport them to a higher level of consciousness. And my review of the place is based on this belief of mine.
So if you are planning a trip to Dharmshala then this place should always be on your wish list because it is among the top things to do in the region.
Mc leodgunj is also called as mini Tibet in Himachal pradesh. So if you are planning a trip to Dharmshala and looking for top things to do in the region then you must try out this. The region has number of monastries telling about the influence of Tibetian culture on Indian culture. The local people are very peaceful and regious making it a very serene location for your next holidays.
Who don’t like shopping? Everyone in today’s world is a shopping addict. The best part about the street shopping in Mc leodgunj is that you will get those things in the market which will be exclusive to the place. You can buy stones, silver jewelery and some amazing Tibetian artifacts. Mc leodgunj has lot to offer from expensive wine to cheap liquor, from expensive hotels to budget homestays so its upto you how you want to make your trip accomplish.
Chill in the Cafes
I have been traveling in Himachal pradesh for past 1 year and for me Old Manali, Kasol and Mc leodgunj have same kind of vibes. The forienger crowd, lovely cafes, amazing music and mind boggling food is something for which a person can die. So for me if you are planning a trip Dharmshala then chlling in the cafes is a must do activity. The authentic food along with some drinks and music is the best way to conclude your evening in Mc leodgunj
Some Top cafe’s in the Region are.
- Jimmy’s Italian Kitchen
- Shiva Café
- Peace Café
- Lung Ta
- Common Ground Café
- Café Budan
- Hummingbird Café
- Seed Café
- Namgyal Café
- Tibet Quality Bakery
- Lobsang Four Season Cafe
Go to Bir- Billing
Bir is a popular destination for paragliders all over the world. Paragliding World Cup 2015 was also held at this surreal location. Bir is the landing site while Billing is the launching site. Hence, the name Bir-Billing. so if you are an adventure enthusiast and looking for some extra ordinary experience then this is your cup of tea. The distance between Dharmshala to Bir is around 64km and believe me guys its among the top things to do in Himachal pradesh. So never ever miss this chance.