Himachal pradesh is one of the most beautiful state in India. Home to number of hill stations like Manali, Shimla, Kasauli, Dalhausie and many more which can make your heart pound widely. Today in this article we will discuss everything about the rivers flowing in Himachal Pradesh.
In Himachal Pradesh there are basically 5 main rivers which are even mentioned in our very own holy scriptures Rig Veda.
- The historical name of Ravi river in Himachal pradesh was Purshpani or Iravati.
- Total length of the river in himachal is around 158km
- Ravi originate from the Bada bangal in the Dhauladhar ranges of Himalayas.
- Ravi flow basically in Chamba and Kangra district of Himachal Pradesh.
- Chamba is situated on right bank of the Ravi.
- Ravi river flows into Punjab in place called Khedi.
- Largest river in Himachal pradesh in case of flow of water.
- Chenab is formed after the meeting of Chandra and Bhaga rivers at a place called Tandi in Lahaul and Spiti district.
- Vedic name of Chenab river is Asikani and sanskrit name is Chandrabhaga.
- Chenab river flows in Lahaul and Chamba district of Himachal Pradesh.
- Total length of Chenab in state is 122 km.
- Chenab leaves Chamba district at a place called Sansari Nala to go into Jammu and Kashmir
- Satluj originates from Rakshas Tal near Mansarovar lake in Tibet.
- Satluj is known by the name Langqên Zangbo in China before entering India.
- Satluj enters Shimla from Kinnaur at a place called Chaura.
- The Vedic name of Satluj river is Satudri.
- Satluj is the longest river in Himachal pradesh
- The total length of Satluj is 320km in Himachal.
- Bhakra Dam is constructed on Satluj.
- Beas name is derived from Rishi Beas.
- Beas originates from Beas Kund located in Rohtang Pass.
- The old name was Bipasha.
- Total length of Beas in State is 260km.
- Beas leaves Himachal at a place called Mruthal in Kangra district of Himachal pradesh.
- Yamuna originates from Yamunotri in Uttarkhand
- Yamuna flows from Sirmour, paonta in Himachal Pradesh
- Old name of Yamuna is Kalendi.